Take a Tour

More pictures and videos of real wildlife removal and rescues. Visit our Blog

"Dependable Service, Old Time Values"

Blog

Snakes in Tennessee a wildlife Pest Control need ? part 1

Snakes in Tennessee? “OMG HELP what kind of snake is this ?” During certain times of year that is 97% of the daily calls A Classic Wildlife Control receives, and Yes its that time of year again !!! The other part of those calls are ” Is it poisonous?” To begin this article let me start with a little education on that part of the call, Poisonous by definition is a toxic substance that causes injury or death when Absorbed or Ingested. Venomous by definition a toxic substance that is Injected through a bite or sting. That being said there are No Poisonous snakes, all snakes are either Venomous or Nonvenomous. In Tennessee there are 30 native species of snakes, of those 30 species only 4 are venomous. Depending on what part of Tennessee you live in you may only have 1 or 2 of those 4 species that live around you. There is exception to every rule but generally from middle to west Tennessee you will find the Cottonmouth and the Pygmy Rattlesnake The other 2 the  Copperhead and the Timber Rattlesnake can be found all across the state. In the markets that A Classic Wildlife Control operates 91% of all snakes calls are nonvenomous but the other 9% is the Copperhead and Timber Rattlesnake (with Copperhead being our #1 venomous snake calls) There are 3 characteristics that can be used tell the difference between native venomous and nonvenomous snakes. Venomous snakes have vertical slits for eye pupils while nonvenomous snakes have round eye pupils,  the second is, all Tennessee venomous snakes are pit vipers, and third is they all have a very pronounced, triangular head like a arrowhead shape. Although most of our callers are screaming and running when they saw the snake the chances they saw any of those characteristics are slim to none. A Classic Wildlife Control treats every snake call as a venomous snake call until one of our trained technicians can visually see the snake in person on the side of caution but normally it is a nonvenomous snake we are called for. Our most common snake calls are for Grey Ratsnakes or Black Ratsnake both nonvenomous the grey ratsnake is often call a chicken or corn snake but is very similar in appearance to the venomous Copperhead. In Tennessee it is illegal to kill any native species of snakes both venomous and nonvenomous. Although most people have a fear of snakes they are actually very important to our ecosystem as their primary food source are mice and rats. If you encounter a snake in your home or yard and do not want it there call A Classic Wildlife Control and we will be happy to relocate it for you, and the best thing to do is keep an eye on it at a safe distance until our technician arrives. Remember at A Classic Wildlife Control we strive for Dependable Service, Old Time Values

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment